Forum Title: Toilet drain pipe leak repair - help needed
Hi, I joined this site so I can get some help. We bought our first house a year ago and two days ago we were faced with our first plumbing problem. House is from 1950s and we noticed a ceiling of the ground floor batroom developed cracks and it was very soft upon touching, in fact my finger went right in. Anyways, I'll cut to the chase, the upstairs bathroom's toilet is leaking everytime the toilet is flushed. A plumber came today who cut the ceiling to take a look and we could easily see water coming down when the toilet is flushed. His recommendation is that he cuts some of the pipe and replaces it with PVC. He quoted me $900 for this job excluding the ceiling. Here are my questions: - Why is he replacing the entire pipe? Couldnt the problem be just the flange? - Is $900 too much for this job? We found a handyman who offered to do the same for $400. But obviously he is not licensed and the person who quoted is $900 is reputable and guarantees his work on paper for 2 years. I personally liked him but $900 to me is a lot of money and I still have to repair the ceiling myself. I am also inexperienced with pricing plumbing repairs, which is why I am here. I am a DIY guy though, just never dealt with plumbing before. - It seems like this issue has been going on for quite some time as I can see black mold developing on the 2x4 under the pipe. Is this a big problem or can I leave it as is? Thanks.
Category: Plumber Post By: JOSHUA BAKER (Springfield, MO), 05/18/2017

I can't see the upper section of the pipe but it looks like it may be lead. If it is then replacing a section of the pipe with PVC would be the best solution. As far as price get three estimates from plumbing contractors. It's not a job for a handy man.

- BOBBY HUGHES (Bozeman, MT), 09/10/2017

I would try replacing the wax ring first. it's common in old homes to stub up lead and wrap it around a cast iron flange. If it was smaller diameter I would say replace it but it looks like 3 in. I've done a ton of work in old homes with this set up if you replace the wax seal and it still leaks then something is wrong with flange or pipe I would then call a pro in to fix it. 900 is on the higher end but it depends on where you are in the country I would do my research and get more quotes average is around 100$ an hour and that's a two man job so I would charge between 400-500. That's a reference point for pricing

- CLIFTON OCONNOR (Waterloo, IA), 10/06/2017

Again, NOT a job for a handyman. Get a couple more bids from reputable plumbers. Prices vary widely from area to area and even within areas.

- WALLACE BOWEN (Spokane Valley, WA), 10/09/2017

Homeowner Resources & Services

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-880-2779